Soap washing the RO

Home Forums Making Maple Syrup Equipment Soap washing the RO

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jake Dudley Jake Dudley 1 month, 1 week ago.

Soap washing the RO

• Profile picture
      • Topics 2
      • Replies 6
      • Posts 8

Reverse Osmosis has been a fun experience for me. With that said, we have had lots of trial and error with it. Long story short, first year we didn’t put enough soap in. slowly lost performance thru the season. Second year bought a digital PH meter and average Sodium Hydroxide (non buffered) was about 1 pound per wash. Third year i broke my second PH meter and gave up on those. Found hydrion test strips, strips are telling me several tablespoons per wash.

Its a turbo 2000 with an 8×40 and wash tank is usually filled to 15 gallons. Theres never been any sugar in the pemeate. But I’ve come to the conclusion I have overloaded the Sodium Hydroxide for two seasons now.

Our membrane is slow. Last run was 800-900 gallons. After a bit it dropped but then held at 400 psi, 1.25 concentrate and 5 permeate for the remaining 600 gallons.

Any comments welcome!

• Profile picture
      • Topics 2
      • Replies 6
      • Posts 8

I’ll add that I did an acid wash and within 1-2 minutes wash tank was Strawberry-cola colored. That seemed to help on the last run of sap. Which i have to correct, It was 1.25 and 4 for a total of 5 gallons per minute.

• Profile picture
      • Topics 0
      • Replies 1
      • Posts 1

Depending on the the brand of membrane there are different types of soap I believe. Most of the newer ones use the same. Citric acid is pretty much the norm for acid wash. We use h2O membranes and use 1/2 cup liquid version of their soap per membrane. We also use 1/2 cup of citric acid per membrane for acid wash.

• Profile picture
      • Topics 0
      • Replies 5
      • Posts 5

We used an RO for the first time in our own operation this season.  I’m a huge fan, we would have never been able to run as many taps or make as much syrup as we did this year (in addition to an extremely busy work schedule) without it.  We ran a Memprotec 350H, which has a dedicated recirculation pump.  The most we ran through it in one session was about 1650 gallons of late season sap, never had to adjust the needle valve from start up the finish that day.  We washed with the Bioclean detergent which was recommended by the manufacturer.  I see no difference in performance between the way the machine operated in the beginning of the season is now.  I beleive the mixcalls for 400ml per 20 gallons of permeate.

It is STRONGLY recommended to run permeate through the machine for at least 15 minutes, immediately after finishing your sap, before washing.  Have you been doing this?

• Profile picture
      • Topics 2
      • Replies 6
      • Posts 8

<p>Maybe for 5 minutes after a sugar flush. </p>

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to log in