Dirty Syrup

Home Forums Making Maple Syrup Filtering Dirty Syrup

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by John Jackl John Jackl 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Dirty Syrup

• Profile picture
      • Topics 1
      • Replies 3
      • Posts 4

In the 30 years that I’ve been producing maple syrup I have never experienced a season with such dirty (cloudy) syrup coming off the evaporator.  It goes through my primary filter from the evaporator but has a tough time going through the filter press.  I can only get half the volume through the press as compared to normal years.  Any one else experiencing such dirty syrup?

Farmer John

• Profile picture
      • Topics 0
      • Replies 7
      • Posts 7

Ours was very cloudy this year too, John! We will be filtering later this week.

• Profile picture
      • Topics 1
      • Replies 2
      • Posts 3

I have been fighting large amounts of sugar sand every year and I attribute it to the shallow soil with lime stone . A great combination for growing Cherries but makes for a lot of minerals in the finished syrup. My syrup looks like mud coming off the evaporator. I have a 24×24 flat filter on my finisher and I use a very course filter and it clogs withing 10 gallons. I’m giving up with that idea and went with 2 more filter plates on my press.

I also have to clean my 3×10 every time I boil or I scorch my pans.

• Profile picture
        • Topics 1
        • Replies 3
        • Posts 4

I guess I shouldn’t complain!  This is not a normal issue here.  We always have nitre to deal with but usually not to the extent you have.  I can normally get about 20 gallons through my short stack 7″ press.  This year it’s a struggle to get 10 gallons through.  Happy sugarin’ !

• Profile picture
      • Topics 0
      • Replies 1
      • Posts 1

I used to have to clean my front pan every 300 gallons of sap. Two years ago my flue pan was even bad. This year I have gone through over 5000 gallons worth of sap and only cleaned 2 times and the first time was not even bad. I concentrate with an RO so less volume but should be same amount of niter. I do not know what is different but I do like it.

• Profile picture
      • Topics 2
      • Replies 6
      • Posts 8

I have never been able to get more than 7 gallons thru 4 window plates. Ever.

• Profile picture
        • Topics 1
        • Replies 3
        • Posts 4

Do you have a gear pump or a diaphragm pump?  Do you pre-charge your filter with D.E.?  Do you start out at low pressure?

• Profile picture
        • Topics 2
        • Replies 6
        • Posts 8

Diaphragm. Yes we start with low pressure. I’m guessing the precharge is whats missing?

• Profile picture
        • Topics 1
        • Replies 3
        • Posts 4

I have a gear pump so always pre-charge but still bypass the filter to start out at low pressure.  I know of others with diaphragm pumps that don’t pre-charge and have good success.  Still a mystery!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.